Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Off by an inch, off by a mile.



I won this little dress on eBay! My heart swells. My inability to win anything on eBay is something that my friends and family constantly make fun of me about. Most of the items I purchase are with The "Buy It Now" option, and I am perfectly fine with that. I include BIN options in all my own listings for just that reason. Some of us ladies are just not bidding savvy.

I know that a lot of you prefer Etsy to eBay, and I'm not going to argue with you. I am also not switching over to selling on Etsy, so I am comfortable agreeing to disagree. I just wanted to provide you with a little measurement information to help with your purchases no matter the website:




1. Invest in a tape measure.
Seriously, they cost a dollar and are really invaluable for online purchasing. 

2. Know both your measurements AND the measurements of your best fitting pieces.
Dresses are not ladies with curves. Measurements are usually taken from seam to seam, so be aware of the differences between your body and your clothes. You might be surprised.

3. Do not rely on a seller's "Best Fit" opinion.
Use these opinions as a basis to start looking, but don't be afraid to check up and down a size. The above gray dress was listed as best fitting a medium. It has a 25 inch waist. It also has a 34 inch bust, and no stretch. A medium it is not.

4. Don't be afraid to ask for additional measurements.
Long waisted? You are going to want to ask for the waist to hem measurement of shorts and rompers to avoid wedgies. Short arms? Ask for the length from shoulder seam to cuff on blouses. Sellers will gladly provide extra information within reason.

5. Don't be afraid to have things altered.
If only one measurement is off and it is an easy alteration, then don't be afraid to buy it. The above dress was just a hair long for my taste, so I had it hemmed. I have also had bodices taken in, hems let out, and even sleeves removed. Change the clothes to fit you, not the other way around.


Happy Shopping,
XO Robyn 




Pin It!